Hi all! Been fairly busy recently, so this is my first update in a while. After getting hold of both an NT Mini and Super NT, the N64 remained the only Nintendo console I owned without a native digital HDMI option. Luckily, I had an ultraHDMI board on order! Pre-ordered in November and I got it at the start of March.
I won’t go into full detail in terms of the install as it’s been covered lots elsewhere, but I found it surprisingly easy. Despite soldering a flat flex cable to such fine pitch pins of the RPC, a decent amount of flux made it a breeze and I was done within minutes.
It worked great! Checked the self-test function and my wiring came up as absolutely fine. Awesome.
So all was good! Well, until I tried updating the firmware using my Everdrive 64. It was the middle of the heaviest snow we’ve seen here in the UK for years and my house had a power cut. Only intermittently, but enough to brick the UltraHDMI.
I looked everywhere for a solution – and there was none other than sending the board back to the developer (marshallh) for repair. Hell no. I threw him an email and luckily he responded with a jtag file I was able to flash to the board using an altera blaster. Phew.
Don’t do firmware updates in snowstorms, people